What is Ruby?
A dynamic, open source programming language with a focus on simplicity and productivity. It has an elegant syntax that is natural to read and easy to write.
For example sample Ruby code below (really it is ruby code, not English). I am sure without any translators, you can figure out what the code is already doing :). There are many benefits for code readability and as a coder, you know what I am talking about, don’t you?
All of the below code has been written following pure OOPS concepts, by declaring some Ruby classes and tie them together. The readability like ‘visit’, ‘on’ , ‘when_present’ etc. are methods that can be written by using plain ruby (with a concept called closures)
Why program in Ruby?
- It is “easier” to learn
- Save Time by writing more with less
- Readable, english like typed language
- Portable and greatly customizable
- You will fall in love with it
- From a Test Automation perspective, Ruby and Java are equally mature (as per me)
Some Ruby websites to convince you: